Getting older is one of the very few things that are guaranteed to happen in life. And, although many people think that, well, sucks, I have quite enjoyed the ride so far. So it’s that time again to reflect on life, it’s birthday time!
I am 26 this year. Not very old, I know, but my mama has always said that I am old before my time. What can I say, I have an old soul.
25 has been my fave age so far. Not only because it’s a perfect number, but so many beautiful things have happened over this last year that have helped me to grow, enabled me to learn about life and my job, and I have had one of the best years living with my best friend and fiancé, Jeanne.
I just wanted to take note of a few things that I have learned and that have stuck with me from the last year and share them with you:
- People come and go. The ones who want to be there will stick by your side with no ifs, buts or maybes.
- Work hard and you will get to where you want to be. Hard work always pays off.
- Family matters the most, but equally family doesn’t always consist of people who have the same blood running through your veins.
- Life is too short to deal with kak – in any shape or form.
- Do what you love both at work and at home.
- Be honest and kind – always.
- Be emotional. Cry, laugh, shout and smile. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being emotional, ever.
- Physical things are great but are nothing compared to experiences with those that are closest to you.
Today, on my 26th birthday, I am going to be spending time with my dad, Eulodie and Jeanne putting up pictures, my collection of masks, drinking champagne and having a braai. Sounds like bliss to me!
What is your fave birthday memory? What is your fave thing to do (or that you have done) for your birthday? Let me know in the comments below.