And we’re back from our holiday in Scotland. Two weeks went by so quickly and, before we knew it, we’re back to work and back to reality. Shit. I am going to put up a couple of blog posts up about our amazing trip to the snowy land – I mean, we did spot Nessie and I have lots to talk about – and all our wonderful adventures. But first, let’s talk about what I want to make of this year.
Spoiler alert: There ain’t going to be a ‘new me’.
Of all the things I have decided so far this year, I have decided that I don’t want to follow the ‘new year, new me’ trend. This does not mean there are things I don’t want to work on personally, or that there are things that need to change. Actually, it’s quite the opposite, as I have a lot of goals I want to meet and things I want to do.
However, I am not going to overhaul myself. Why? Because I am kind of starting to like parts of my myself more and I think it would defeat the whole purpose if I then decided to change myself.
So ‘cheers’ to that shit.
Here are some of my little goals for 2018:
- To finally pass my roller derby assessment and level up. I need to get my 25/5 (25 laps in 5 minutes) and I know I can do it. I just need to push harder.
- To buy a house with my wife. Jeanne and I have been wanting to buy a house for a while now, but this year is our year and I have a feeling that this dream might finally come true.
- To blog a lot more. My blogging last year was a little bit all over the place and I would love to blog more this year more consistently.
- To be kinder to myself. I am really hard on myself and, even though Jeanne is absolutely amazing and tells me how great I am and is the kindest human being, I am still too hard on myself.
- To continue to work hard – because my job means a lot to me, I like being successful and I am passionate about what I do – but also remind myself that it is not the only important thing in my life.
- To continue to save money, but to remember to live a little and let my hair down. Spoiling yourself occasionally is a good thing.
- To try something new. I want to try our hula hooping, rock wall climbing, go camping and so many other things. This year I am going to make a point of doing a load of new and exciting things.
- Compromise. I always want things my way. This year, it’s not going to be all about me.
- Reconnect with people I have not seen in a long time but who live up the road from me. A lot of people I use to spend time with in Botswana live almost on my doorstep. However, I have not put the time or effort in to reconnect with them and, well, that’s my fault. This year I am going to make more of an effort to reconnect with the people I think are important.
- To listen better. I am a shit listener, it’s the truth. Because of this I tend to jump to conclusions and get ahead of myself. That’s going to change this year.
Okay, so some of them might not be little, but I feel they are achievable with a little time and effort. 2017 was a hard year. We got through hospital stays, tackled a lot of lows, made new friends and lost others, we rescued a little kitten, dealt with loss and heartache, and got married.
What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, right? And Jeanne and I have decided that 2018 is going to be our year. The year of adventures, happiness and so much more.
Neither of us need to change in order to make our hopes and dreams come true. And neither do you.
I cannot wait to get cracking on these goals! Let me know what you have planned for 2018 in the comments section below and tell me how you feel about the ‘new year, new me’ malarkey.
What’s coming up on the blog in the next few weeks:
- Our myUtopia experience
- Weird tea-orientated goodies
- What Jeanne has taught me about happiness at work