The last time I wore pads was when I first started my period back in the day. I mean, we are talking 15 years ago and, obviously, things have changed since then.
To be completely honest with you, my period has never been a time of the month I look forward to – and I am sure a lot of girls and women feel the same way.
The pain I experience every month is so unreal that I have to know when I am about to start – that’s at least two hours before – so I can take my dose of Neurofen to beat the pain before it even starts. And, if I start in the middle of the night, well, I am f&*ked.
Why? Because it’s so bad that I am crippled for the next three hours if I don’t catch it in time. And, there is nothing worse than having to sit at your desk at work in crippling pain feeling sorry for yourself when you’re in that much pain you can’t concentrate.
Because the pain is so bad, I am always looking for the least finicky way to deal with my period. This is why, when I discovered tampons, there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to swap over from pads.
My mind was so made up that I was convinced I was never going back to using pads ever again. But…
Always sent me the cutest press drop a couple of months ago, and, because my period had just finished and then we were going away to Scotland on holiday, I did not have enough time to try out their new Maxi pads and give my review before 2017 ended.
The press drop consisted of a little box filled with goodies, including:
- A sleep mask (great for when Jeanne wants to watch TV and I want to get some shut-eye),
- A bath ball (which unfortunately we cannot use in the drought but smells gorgeous in our bathroom),
- A Lindt chocolate bar (which lasted the whole of 5 minutes),
- A pair of socks (got to keep those tootsies warm while you’re on your period, it really helps with the pain),
- Some ‘good stuff’ hand cream, and
- A packet of their new Maxi Pads to try out.
How freaking cute? It’s literally everything you need to get through your period and more, and I was so stoked to open it and find the perfect period-survival-kit (minus painkillers).
So what makes these new Maxi pads the product you need every month for the duration of your Time of the Month? Here’s everything you need to know:
- New flexible top-sheet: softness and security
- Smart lock system: faster absorption
- Always Maxi: up to 100% protection
What I thought:
As I opened up my very first pad in 15 years, I could not help but stare at it in confusion and delight – it just looked, well, so small.
This got me thinking things like: “I don’t think this is going to hold my flow” and “are they sure this is big enough?”, because we are all paranoid about leakages and mishaps happening while we are playing sport, sitting in the office and well, generally getting on with life.
But, I persevered and slapped one in my knickers because I am all about giving things a fair chance before judging – because it’s the right thing to do, guys.
First up, can I just tell you that there is an amazing new feature that I did not know about. This tiny little feature was one of the first things I realised when I unfolded the pad and it made me smile. Guys, the wings are now held together by one strip of paper instead of two. Meaning that they do not flap around while you are trying to position your pad correctly and they do not get stuck to your legs while you’re trying to attach them to the underside of your knickers.
This feature is probably not new, but since I have not opened a packet in 15 years, I expected weird and wonderful design changes that would make the process of using them much easier and more pleasant.
I tried them out both at night and during the day and this is what I found:
- They are surprisingly comfortable while out and about and while playing a sport. No matter if I was at the office or at roller derby practice, I never felt uncomfortable once. I think this comes down to their size and thickness.
- I didn’t leak! This is a great big Halleluja as, the first few days my flow is out of control, so I have to keep an eye on it. As long as I changed my pad as soon as I felt the need to, I didn’t leak at work or in the bed at night – yay!
- It was not as complicated as I remember. You’re probably thinking, “but you use tampons, they are way more complicated”, and I can totes see where you are coming from. However, after using them for so long, I thought using pads again would just be so, well, finicky. And, you know what I said up there, I am not about that life. However, it was way less stressful, finicky and time-consuming than I remember.
All-in-all, my mind has been changed. Listen, I am not saying that I am throwing out all my tampons but I do think, to give my body a break at night or when I feel like it needs it, I am def going to have a pack or two of Always Maxi pads around.
What are your thoughts? Have you tried the new Maxi pads from Always? Or do you use tampons and shudder at the thought of going back to pads? Tell me, I want to know!